Band camp starts next week! I hope all of you are excited and ready to start another great year in the LOLHS band program. Read through this post so you’re aware of the details and any possible changes.
Band Camp Details
Monday July 23-Thursday July 26
Monday July 30-Friday August 3
All days from 9am-3pm
Friends and Family Performance
Friday August 3
Student call time: 5:10pm
Performance time: 5:30pm
Where Is Camp?
Band camp is held at Land O Lakes High School. We will begin each day in the band room, but will spend parts of camp throughout the school (practice field, football stadium, music suite, areas near the band room). Due to construction at the school. many areas are blocked off and unsafe for students to be in. We will avoid these areas and they will be off limits to all students. Students will be outside as well as inside throughout each day of band camp. Dress appropriately and drink lots of water.
All drop offs/pick ups/parking/etc. must happen through the back of the school. Do not drive through the main loop. Drive to the back of the school by the stadium and follow the road to the band room. If you drive into the main loop, you will be entering a construction zone. Follow the directions!
What Should I Wear?
- Wear a t-shirt and shorts; must follow school dress code
- Athletic apparel is highly suggested
- Tennis shoes are required
- Hats/sunglasses for outside suggested
Students that wear pants/jeans/sweatpants as well as students not wearing tennis shoes may be sent home to change.
It will be hot outside; dress appropriately!
What Do I Need to Bring With Me?
- Your instrument
- Your music
- Flip folder and lyre
- Extra instrument supplies (reeds, valve oil, sticks/mallets, etc.)
- Sunscreen/bug spray
- A positive attitude
What Happens at Band Camp?
Band camp is a time to help us “prep” for marching band. We spend time in the morning outside working on marching and learning drill for the show, then we work on music in the afternoon. Students will also bond through games and activities throughout the day. While band camp is a lot of work, it’s also a lot of fun!
Any Other Helpful Information?
- Eat breakfast everyday before camp
- Avoid food/drinks that could make you sick
- Dairy products
- Soda/sugary drinks
- Fast food
- Show up on time. To be early is to be on time, to be on time is to be late.
- Bring your lunch with you each day.
- The front of the school is under construction; YOU MUST DRIVE TO THE BACK OF THE SCHOOL EACH DAY FOR PICK UP/DROP OFF.
- Much of the school is under construction, stay only in the designated areas to avoid injury.
- We live in Florida; it will be hot, it will probably rain, be flexible!
If you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask. Spend some time outdoors over the next few days and double check that you’re instrument is in working condition. I’m looking forward to seeing everyone next week and know we’re going to have a great 2018-19 school year together.